Havarti Beef Sandwich with Creamy Horseradish
This recipe calls for Havarti Horseradish cheese. But not all delis have horseradish cheese on hand. So, for those of you who can’t get it at the store have no fear! Instead, we have an easy alternative for you…. assuming you have jarred horseradish at home…. And for those of you who are lucky enough to have an amazing deli, then simply skip the creamy horseradish step and move on without it! Or add both, that’s what I like to do anyways.
20 Minutes (2hrs if making sauce)
- 1 Yellow onion, Sliced
- 1 Medium Tomato
- 1 tb Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 tb Butter, Soft
- 1 tb Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Havarti Cheese
- Roast beef deli meat
- Optional: Leafy Greens
To Make Creamy Horseradish Sauce:
- ½ c Sour Cream
- 3 tb Prepared Extra Hot Horseradish
- ¼ tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
To make Sauce:
- Whisk together all creamy horseradish ingredients in medium bowl.
- Cover bowl and let sit in fridge for at least 2 hours.
To make sandwich:
- Melt coconut oil in skillet, add in onions, brown sugar and salt.
- Sauté onions and tomatoes for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and the tomatoes are soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- If using horseradish sauce, smooth evenly onto one side of bread.
- Then on the other slice of bread, add on cheese, meat and leafy greens if using.
- Spoon enough of the sautéed mixture to cover entire slice and then fold horseradish slice carefully on top of the other layered slice.
- Next, add butter to one side of sandwich and lay buttered side face down onto skillet. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- While the buttered side is cooking, butter the top piece of bread. When it is ready to be flipped, carefully flip sandwich to cook on the other side. You may need to flip the sandwich a couple times to thoroughly cook through sandwich.
- Gently press bottom of spatula to the sandwich to squish together all the layers and lock in all those juicy flavors.
- Once both sides are browned and the cheese has melted, take off of skillet and serve with a small side salad or fresh fruits.